Last evening, the nominees for the 2017 Young Achievers Awards were announced at the official awards nominees unveiling ceremony held at Kampala Serena Hotel.
The ceremony attracted officials from the government, private sector, the finalists and the media. However, the most exciting observation was the fact that most of the nominees were entrepreneurs. This is indicative of the fact that young people are committed to fighting unemployment in a country with one of the highest unemployment rates across the globe.
In an official press release that SDA received, Humphrey Nabimanya, the Team Leader & Founder of Reach A Hand Uganda, who will also be the face of the awards for the coming five years said;
We are pleased to announce this year’s nominees who have been selected by distinguished Judges who brought their industry knowledge and category specific skill sets to assess the nominees and choose the finalists for the Young Achievers Awards.
The finalists were selected by two panels of judges. The first round which composed of category judges who assessed the top ten nominees in their respective categories and later the audit judges who selected a winner out of each of the categories that attracted nominations from the public.
Progress Chisenga, the Marketing Director of Vodafone Uganda - one of the award partners - also added that “We congratulate all the nominees in the different categories. These young people are the next generation of leaders in their chosen fields of specialization and Vodafone is proud to be part of their story."
The Young Achievers Awards was founded in 2009 by two young entrepreneurs, Awel Uwihanganye, and Ivan Kyambadde with the main objective of encouraging entrepreneurship and recognizing innovation and excellence. In reference to the 2017 Awards, the founders
In reference to the 2017 Awards, the founders recognized the transition to a new generation of champions by congratulating Humphrey Nabimanya the Lead champion (and a recipient of the 2011 Award), for his leadership and stewardship of the Award going forward.
Our hope has always been that we keep young people as the face of the YAA, and for the Award to remain youth driven, and youth focused. We see this clearly in the work being invested in the project, and passion exhibited by the team of young people working on it. The team has our full support, we shall continue to contribute to the growth and success of the Award - Acel, one of the founders.
The winners of of each of the 7 categories that attracted nominations from the public, will be announced at the awards gala night ceremony on August 12th at the Kampala Serena Hotel. The President of the Republic of Uganda, His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, will be the guest of honor.
Find the complete list of nominees for the 2017 Young Achievers Awards
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Business are;
- Dr. Richard Kalungi, Home Doctors Uganda
- Maxima Nsimenta, Founder of Livara Shea Butter Cosmetics
- Kasozi Charles Ras, SEED Uganda
- Muhammed Sekatawa, Responsinle Suppliers (U) Ltd
- Ricky Rapa Thompson, Co-Founder of SafeBoda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Outstanding Sports Personality are;
- Farouk Miya, Uganda Cranes Midfielder
- Jacob Kiplimo, Athlete
- Marvin Odong, Rugby Cranes
- Christine Wanyana, Former Uganda Crested Cranes Captain
- Cheza Fitness Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Media and Journalism Excellence are;
- Samuel Songa Stone, STORYTELD
- Ronald Wandera, Founder ugextra.com
- Raymond Kataha, Journalist with NTV Uganda
- Abaas Mpindi, The Media Challenge Initiative
- Martha Tukahirwa, The Uganda Tourism Directory
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Innovations & ICT are;
- Gerald Otim, Chief Operation Officer & Co-Founder of Ensibuko
- Michael Kazoora, Quick Tap Solutions
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- Kevin Lubega, EasyTicket Limited
- Peace Kuteesa, Zimba Women
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Social Entrepreneurship presented by UniTED are;
- Muhammed Kisirisa aka Slum Ambassador, Executive Director of Action for Fundamental Change and Development
- Eddy Balina, Community Empowerment Center
- Jamila Mayanja, Annual Father Daughter Dance
- Ian Joseph Wabwire, Youth Connect-Uganda
- Ampumuza Dixon Kagurusi, Co-Founder of Africa Media Education Literacy Limited and TheUgandan.com
- Frank Neil Yiga, Anuel Energy Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Farming and Agro-Processing;
- Ronald Katamba, Jaguza App
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- James Kyewalabye, RASA Ltd
- Dennis Kasule, St James Secondary School Bulaga
- Fiona Rukwanzi, Mwigo holdings limited
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Music) Category are;
- Edrisa Musuuza aka Eddy Kenzo
- Milege Afrojazz Band
- George William Kigozi aka Geosteady
- The Triplets Ghetto Kids
- Sheebah Karungi
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Fashion) are;
- Brian Ahumuza of Abryanz Collection
- Anita Beryl of Beryl Quoture
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Film and Photography) are;
- Haruna Ssebagala, Access Films
- Ssekitto Emmanuel kalule, Faces Up Uganda
- Zahara Abdul
- Ian Akankwasa aka Sasha Vybz